Wednesday, September 14, 2011

So it's September already again?

I blinked ... again!

Anyway, just a short one to say I've not abandoned this - just got side-tracked.

Saw a bright yellow&black Regent Bowerbird feeding on one of my tree this morning! Gorgeous... :D

With this bird sighting, I decided to write up a list of birds we've seen on our property for past 3 years and it is incomplete as we are not brilliant bird spotters by a long way!

Land Birds:
  • Tawny Frogmouth (it crashed into our patio one very early morning and disappeared that nite)
  • Australian Brush-Turkey (everywhere, the cursed birds - they terrorise my chooks!!)
  • Indian Peafowl/Peacock (I saw 2 pairs of this strolling around the roads nearby twice!!)
  • Superb Lyrebird (saw them on my way out to shops late arvo outside our property)
  • Spotted Turtle-Dove (in the bush nearby)
  • Rock Dove (ditto)
  • Crested Pigeon
  • Wonga Pigeon
  • Glossy Black-Cockatoo (not as often but very noticable)
  • Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (anyone welcomed to shoot them down! Damaging fruit trees!)
  • Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (same as black cockatoo - quite large and nice)
  • Galah (they're ok - not as annoying as Sulphur crested ones)
  • Cockatiel
  • Musk Lorikeet
  • Rainbow Lorikeet
  • Australian King Parrot
  • Crimson Rosella
  • Sacred Kingfisher (saw only twice and it's much smaller and bright coloured than Kooky)
  • Laughing Kookaburra (several permanent residents around here!)
  • Scarlet Robin (rarer visitors)
  • Eastern Yellow Robin (regular visitors)
  • Red-whiskered Bulbul
  • Superb Fairy-wren (everywhere - great gardener's helper! But they love elderberries!!)
  • Lewin's Honeyeater
  • Red-browed Finch
  • Regent Bowerbird (first time today or first time I noticed! heh)
  • Satin Bowerbird (occasional visitors)
  • Australian Magpie
  • Pied Currawong
  • Grey Butcherbird (very good at stealing food!)
  • Magpie-lark/Peewee
  • Willy Wagtail (love them!)
  • Australian Raven
Water Birds:

  • Great Egret (we got a single one who would love to stand and do nothing?)
  • Australian White Ibis
  • Australian Wood Duck (too many of them on the dam!)
  • Mallard (ditto - at least the snail population's down, eh?)
  • Purple Swamphen (very annoying birds!)
  • Banded Lapwing (gotta love them - they bombard our neighbours and not me!)
  • Australian Pelican (they fly overhead frequently but never stopped by here)
Not bad, eh?

I've noticed some eagles flying overhead several times - huge!

Also a few times I'd see some kind of falcon sitting on fence - not sure which though and the chooks were not happy whenever it visited!

Will post more next time, much sooner I promised.

Oh to the person who asked about the infused vinegar - yep it's for both cleaning and cooking if I use el-cheapo vinegar. I've used it for dishwasher rinse which turns out nicer as I'd get a nice sniff whenever I opened the dishwasher drawer. It works quite well so I've started another with mandarin skins now.

Cheers till later!

No comments: