Anyway, just a short one to say I've not abandoned this - just got side-tracked.
Saw a bright yellow&black Regent Bowerbird feeding on one of my tree this morning! Gorgeous... :D
With this bird sighting, I decided to write up a list of birds we've seen on our property for past 3 years and it is incomplete as we are not brilliant bird spotters by a long way!
- Tawny Frogmouth (it crashed into our patio one very early morning and disappeared that nite)
- Australian Brush-Turkey (everywhere, the cursed birds - they terrorise my chooks!!)
- Indian Peafowl/Peacock (I saw 2 pairs of this strolling around the roads nearby twice!!)
- Superb Lyrebird (saw them on my way out to shops late arvo outside our property)
- Spotted Turtle-Dove (in the bush nearby)
- Rock Dove (ditto)
- Crested Pigeon
- Wonga Pigeon
- Glossy Black-Cockatoo (not as often but very noticable)
- Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (anyone welcomed to shoot them down! Damaging fruit trees!)
- Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (same as black cockatoo - quite large and nice)
- Galah (they're ok - not as annoying as Sulphur crested ones)
- Musk Lorikeet
- Rainbow Lorikeet
- Australian King Parrot
- Crimson Rosella
- Sacred Kingfisher (saw only twice and it's much smaller and bright coloured than Kooky)
- Laughing Kookaburra (several permanent residents around here!)
- Scarlet Robin (rarer visitors)
- Eastern Yellow Robin (regular visitors)
- Red-whiskered Bulbul
- Superb Fairy-wren (everywhere - great gardener's helper! But they love elderberries!!)
- Lewin's Honeyeater
- Red-browed Finch
- Regent Bowerbird (first time today or first time I noticed! heh)
- Satin Bowerbird (occasional visitors)
- Australian Magpie
- Pied Currawong
- Grey Butcherbird (very good at stealing food!)
- Willy Wagtail (love them!)
- Australian Raven
- Great Egret (we got a single one who would love to stand and do nothing?)
- Australian White Ibis
- Australian Wood Duck (too many of them on the dam!)
- Mallard (ditto - at least the snail population's down, eh?)
- Purple Swamphen (very annoying birds!)
- Banded Lapwing (gotta love them - they bombard our neighbours and not me!)
- Australian Pelican (they fly overhead frequently but never stopped by here)
I've noticed some eagles flying overhead several times - huge!
Also a few times I'd see some kind of falcon sitting on fence - not sure which though and the chooks were not happy whenever it visited!
Will post more next time, much sooner I promised.
Oh to the person who asked about the infused vinegar - yep it's for both cleaning and cooking if I use el-cheapo vinegar. I've used it for dishwasher rinse which turns out nicer as I'd get a nice sniff whenever I opened the dishwasher drawer. It works quite well so I've started another with mandarin skins now.
Cheers till later!